Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Writing Blogs

Many people have a hard time writing their blog. This is not one of my issues, for me it is time to write and reflect. 

Back in my sophomore year of SSHS, I sent a column in to the now defunct Chicago Daily Calumet, one of the country’s oldest daily neighborhood papers. The story was about the school’s rifle team. They sent me a check $for $1.00 and asked for more. More what? That buck got me very creative, motivating me to cover the entire range of athletic events in the school, INCLUDING women’s sports before most paid any attention to them. 

Reporting on girls’ volleyball, swimming, and square dancing as competitive sports increased my opportunities to earn that buck. If our school competed with other schools, it merited a story. The editors loved it. Students loved it, seeing their name in print the first time. Parents loved it, buying papers to send to grandparents, and at a buck a column, my camera, toys and darkroom loved it.

Bring on the blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment