Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An album for your mother


an entry by Staff Photographer (and general assistant) Rachel Fus

I was just thinking I needed to refresh my graphics skills when Don asked if I could do an album for him. I was admittedly rusty to begin with but coupled with new layout software (on a PC, no less!) and a bride who prioritized 300 images as "must have, "and this job started to take a little longer than expected.

Mpix, the program from Miller's Professional Imaging, was easily downloaded (once I acquired all the correct account information) and turned out to be very user friendly. But then came the images. As I started laying out each page I realized our bride had chosen several images of the same pose instead of choosing her favorite expression of the series.

Dear Future Bride laying out her album, I DON'T KNOW YOU! I DON'T KNOW WHICH EXPRESSION YOU LIKE THE MOST! WHAT "SIDE" IS YOUR BEST!

...I did my best.

As I got deeper into the project, I realized there were key items missing. I do a series of spreads by significant event: getting ready, walking down the aisle, exchanging rings., etc. Those were all there, but the first dance wasn't and neither was cutting the cake, which leads me to my second point:

Dear Future Bride Laying Out Her Album, An album should be more than just a conglomeration of pictures. An album must tell a story without the benefit of words; the sequence of events, the emotions must be conveyed through images alone.

So here's the product thus far. It's been edited by Don and now it's off to the bride herself. Check back to see if she makes any changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment