Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Convention Center A


Batting average: 2009 Three Inaugural Balls; Lifetime Average: 7 Inaugural Balls, 4 Inaugurations What do I know about Inaugural Balls? The training session says no high heels for the women working as assistants. Not for me says Rachel, my trusty assistant/intern from last summer. It is HEELS--two days later “hey! my feet are fine, my calves a little less so but I think I'm almost fully recovered from those two nights of insanity.” Doesn’t apply to me says Kara, my office wife. Picture this, it is 1 am the day after the inauguration and Kara is sitting in real pain. She can barley change into her tennie pumps. “Never again will I wear heels to a ball.”

OK ‘nuff about feet, what about the ball #7 . The Mid Atlantic States ball was one of the official balls held in the DC convention center. To me, it was like the ball for the second Bush 2 inauguration (DC speak). It was proforma, it was in a mediocre room with no attempt to pretty it up. Food, a joke, they actually were down to chips and pretzels around 10 PM. High priced drinks, and can’t remember the entertainer. BUT, the VEEP and wife were there for 4-6 minutes and later, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES (POTUS)- again DC speak. What a ROAR, what emotion, thousands of cell phones in the air taking photos ad movies of the POTUS. He spoke, they ROARED approval, they danced, they SCREAMED, he spoke again and waved, they ROARED, They waved goodbye, THEY ROOOOOOOARED Good wishes and goodbye. It was an adrenalin high for one and all

What was in it for me besides the very average pay? The extreme pleasure of taking photos of happy people and portraying them with bright eyes and joy all over their faces. Many looked in the camera and were so happy every one including POPS was looking happy. The families were the best. I joked with the kids asking them how they cajoled “pop” to spring for the shindig. A big motivator for me was the badge, and three more notches in my photo gun belt.

Just got a call, pictures up on web site. Here is the URL. http://reflectionsphotoinc.com

Next adventure a speaking engagement in NY next Tues, more later

No comments:

Post a Comment